Sunday, October 7, 2007

Academic Honesty

My definition of violating academic honesty is when someone dose, uses, or copies anyone else’s work and uses it as there own. It is also dishonest to use someone’s work without giving them proper credit like citing there work incorrectly or not citing it at all. This goes from cheating on a test or doing someone’s homework for them; to stealing someone’s journal online and using it as your own or sealing work for a book. This happens all the time in high school and college environments around the nation. You always hear about some paying another person to do there paper, or people cheating on tests. In the case of cheating, I believe that both parties are guilty; the person taking information as well as the person giving it. There are many reasons that people would resort to academic honesty. For example, maybe someone didn’t have a chance to study or do a paper for what ever reason. Or maybe someone was just being lazy. When it comes to citing things in papers, a lot of the time people don’t know how to cite work, or make a bibliography page. Their have been a lot of times when I’m doing a paper late at night and I see a good source or information and I feel like just copying and pasting the whole thing into my paper but I realize this is wrong and I don’t. There are some pretty server punishments for academic dishonesty. For example, at the high school I attended, punishments for academic dishonesty can go from taking a zero or, detention to suspension or expulsion from the school depending on the severity of the crime.

No comments: